Saturday, April 24, 2010

Sensitive skin?

there is something wrong with my skin....if anyone touches me my skin turns red...and if someone even hits me lightly or if i scratch myself i get welts...its not painful but its embarassing...i cant hug people or kiss them on the cheek with out my skin turning red....ive had this since i was young but is it sensitive skin or is it something else?

Sensitive skin?
It is difficult for anyone to answer your question without seeing the welts you mention - even a doctor needs to see the welts to give you any kind of answer. What you describe almost sounds like a histamine reaction, which suggests allergies. I have a similar situation with my skin, but without the welts. If I wash my skin with even plain water my skin gets really red and inflamed.





If I were you I'd get an appointment to see an allergist or a dermatologist. There is no need for you to continue to struggle with the embarassment if it can be treated.





I am not rying to offer medical advice, and I am not a doctor. Having said that though, you could talk to your local pharmacist and see if they think it is safe for you to try taking diphenhyramine (one brand is Benadryl). This medication is an antihistamine used to treat allergies, so you could probably reassure yourself by trying it for a short period of time, say a few days. Do check with your pharmacist though, and be sure to tell him or her all of the medication that you take, including the over-the-counter kinds. Your pharmacist can advise you if there is anything to prevent you from trying this. You mention that the rash is not painful, but you do not mention if it is itchy. Urticaria, or itching, would also suggest allergies.





If you do try this, you will have a better idea of whether or not this is an allergic reaction. Please see a doctor. You needn't suffer like this any longer. Best of luck to you!


No comments:

Post a Comment